In my December newsletter, I ask readers to give with love. Because, whether or not you’re celebrating the holiday, I have a feeling that we all need a little Christmas, right this very minute.
We need joy and laughter to balance out the sadness and anger that we feel and witness daily. The lyrics of this carol say it all.
For we need a little music, Need a little laughter, Need a little singing Ringing through the rafter, And we need a little snappy "Happy ever after," Need a little Christmas now Need a little Christmas now.
How do we get more of all of this? By giving them to others from a place of love.
Ideas for giving with love:
- Carry mistletoe wherever you go.
- Donate to a charity you believe in, and send a note about why you chose them.
- Curl up next to a loved one without saying a word.
- Leave notes on your neighbors' doors wishing them well.
- Pay for someone else in line at Starbucks.
- Wrap your rent check in pretty paper as a present for your landlord.
- Hug like you really mean it. (I had too!)
- Send a care package.
- Smile on the subway, at the doctor's office, in line anywhere.
- Think of five people you care about, and tell them immediately.
- Ask "can I help?"
- When someone hurts or frustrates you, think of something great about them.
- Wrap tinsel on everything. Windshield wipers, door knobs, wrists.
- Learn a silly joke to share.
- Receive what someone gives to you with open arms.
- Hold a hand. Squeeze.
How will you give with love?
I want to hear your ideas, and stories about what happened when you did. Please share them here.
I hope you'll join me in bringing us all a little Christmas. The sooner, the better.